The obvious reason most women take oral contraceptives is to prevent pregnancy. The benefits of birth control pills, however, go far beyond preventing unplanned pregnancies. As a result, there are lots of reasons why doctors prescribe these pills to female patients, as long as they are not currently trying or planning to become pregnant. If you are first time starting your pills, we suggest you reading this incredible article.
Beyond Pregnancy Prevention: 11 Additional Benefits of Birth Control Pills
- Reduce the Risk of Certain Cancers – Birth control pills have been commonly used since the 1950s, which means lots of scientific studies have been performed over the lifetimes of lots of women. Oral contraceptives have been shown to reduce the risk of uterine, ovarian and endometrial cancers.
- Treat Irregular Periods – The menstrual cycle is supposed to take place over a period of 28 days, but many women experience shorter, longer or unpredictable cycles. Birth control eliminates this concern.
- Regulation of Menstruation – In addition to knowing when your period will start, oral contraceptives allow women to schedule their periods by skipping the week of inactive pills and immediately beginning a new pack.
- Less Painful Periods – Birth control reduces the severity of pain, cramping and other symptoms of menstruation.
- Treatment for Menorrhagia (Heavy Bleeding) – On birth control, women experience significantly lighter periods.
- Reduce Risk of Anemia – Lighter bleeding also means a lower risk of anemia.
- Increased Comfort throughout the Month – The hormones in birth control pills essentially trick the body into thinking it is pregnant. As a result, the ovaries do not release an egg each month. This eliminates the pain and discomfort many women experience in the middle of their cycles.
- Reduce or Eliminate Hormonal Acne – The hormonal fluctuations which occur during a menstrual cycle can irritate the skin, causing hormonal acne. Birth control pills effectively prevent the fluctuation of hormones in the body and these types of break outs.
- Treatment for Menstrual Migraines – The drop in estrogen which occurs during a normal menstrual cycle triggers migraine headaches for many women, creating serious interruptions to their lives every few weeks. By regulating hormonal fluctuations with birth control pills, many women find great relief from these types of migraines.
- Relieve Symptoms of Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) and Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD) – Birth control pills reduce the physical and emotional symptoms associated with these hormone-related concerns.
- Manage Endometriosis – The irregular growth of endometrial tissue causes extreme pain. Birth control pills help reduce tissue growth and symptoms.
Take Birth Control Pills as Prescribed for Consistent Hormone Regulation and Complete Benefits
Birth control pills affect the female body’s monthly cycle by regulating the hormones inside the body. To ensure consistent regulation, taking a consistent dose and sticking with your schedule (down to the exact time of day you take your pill) is absolutely necessary – especially when taking oral contraceptives to prevent pregnancy. To ensure the efficacy of birth control pills, always remember to take your pill at the same time each day. Also remember to make adjustments to your schedule if you travel outside of your time zone. If you happen to miss a dose, follow your medication’s instructions for what to do, use a backup contraceptive and talk with your doctor if you miss more than one dose in a month. If you wonder what is the best day to start Birth Control pills, then check it here.